Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Spicy BLT Soup


As I'm posting, I'm currently eating the soup and it is so good!
I took 2 lbs of tomatoes and roughly chopped them, sprinkled with sea salt and left for about 10 minutes. While I was waiting for the tomatoes, I chopped 1/2 of a large cucumber, 1/2 of a small yellow onion, and 1 Thai Dragon Pepper (from our garden!). In a food processor (the recipe recommends a blender but I am without!), I combined the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and pepper with:
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 slice bread without crust
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 smashed garlic clove
2 teaspoons of white-wine vinegar
Blend ingredients until smooth. Pour the soup through a fine sieve, discard solids. Cover soup and refrigerate until cold, up to 3 days. 

I topped the soup with crispy bacon, drizzled a bit of vinaigrette, and basil. I know its BLT, and I'm missing the lettuce but I didn't feel it was worth purchasing a head of lettuce for a couple bowls of soup!
This soup really allows the taste of the fresh vegetables (and fruits - tomatoes) to shine! What a great meal on a hot day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment