Saturday, July 23, 2011

Italian Sausage and Orecchiette


I'm quite careful with sausages because I'm sensitive to the preservatives but I found these nice hot Italian sausages from a local Trader Joe's! I made this great easy meal with a very minimal amount of ingredients!
1/3 cup Olive Oil
Italian sausage (hot or sweet)
Spinach or Broccoli Rabe
Orecchiette
4 cloves Garlic
Red Pepper Flakes

As a recipe suggested, I boiled a pot of water and cooked the spinach first, which I removed into a separate bowl. I then cooked the pasta in the water. While the pasta was cooking, I removed the sausage from the casing and let my pan and 1/3 cup of oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes heat. I added the sausage, until brown, then added the spinach to cook. This meal takes less than thirty minutes to prepare! I also added a bit of crushed homemade croutons, leftover from last week's soup, to create a bit of a different texture. And of course - cheese! I used a skim mozzarella but parmesan-reggiano would add a wonderful nutty flavor as well!

I found the original recipe in a Williams-Sonoma International Cookbook at Borders' going out of business sale! My passion is international food and I cannot wait to cook more of these recipes! I especially have my eye on curried cauliflower from India! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment