Saturday, July 30, 2011

Orange Chicken


I had originally planned on making Orange Beef, but unfortunately with my final for school and everything I forgot to check on my meat and it expired! :( Thankfully I stock up on chicken breast from Costco so I was able to just use similar ingredients to make Orange Chicken. Since the chicken is a leaner meat, I dipped the chicken in freshly squeezed orange juice and then rolled it generously in whole wheat flour. I did not season my flour because I was making a glaze that had soy sauce which is plenty salty already.
In my large nonstick pan, I added about 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil and pan-fried my floured chicken. I let the chicken brown on one side and then flipped once and let the chicken finish. While the chicken was cooking, I started on the glaze. My original recipe for the Orange Beef had me cook my vegetables in the sauce (bell pepper, onion, ginger, and a home grown spicy pepper) so I did the same for the chicken. I added the vegetables to:
1 1/2 cups water
Freshly squeezed orange juice (to taste)
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
Grated orange zest
1/2 cup sugar (recommended brown but I only had white, also the recipe called for 1 cup of sugar which I thought was majorly excessive and 1/2 cup turned out perfect! But I suggest adding in increments and tasting!)
Green onion to taste

After the vegetables finished cooking, I removed them from the sauce and added them to the pan with chicken, letting the sauce simmer. The sauce is still very much a liquid at this point so I added 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (with cold water) and after a minute, removed the now glaze. 
Side Note: When working with cornstarch, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to 2 cups of liquid. However, be careful not to overstir, stir vigorously, or overheat the  liquid (anything above medium heat for a prolonged period of time after adding the cornstarch). 
Add the glaze to the chicken/vegetables and serve immediately over a bed of rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment