Saturday, July 30, 2011

Angel Food Cake and Cranberry Compote


I was feeling like having a dessert after the Orange Chicken, so I sent Justin to the store to find an angel food cake and I would make a cranberry and orange compote with leftover frozen cranberries (see the Cranberry Orange Muffins). Unfortunately, the store didn't have any angel food cake left, so we picked up a box mix. I don't usually do box mixes, unless I'm short on time - or if it is for a friend and they don't have dietary restrictions so the milk will already be included. Tonight I was low on time and didn't really feel like experimenting! All and all - the box mix actually turned out pretty good and the oven caramelized the tops! :)
For the compote:
1/2 bag of cranberries (probably around 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
Freshly squeezed orange juice, or orange zest (based on preference)

First make a syrup with the water and the sugar over heat. Add the cranberries and bring the syrup to a low rolling boil for at least 10 minutes. During the 10 minutes, the cranberries will slowly crack open and thicken the sauce naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment