Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pita Bar Night



Justin and I are absolutely in love with pita bread, especially pita chips, so I decided to do a meal incorporating some Greek flavors! This meal was originally just a twist on a normal burger with a turkey patty inside a pita pocket. However, turkey is a naturally very lean meat, so I decided to add some extra flavors with hummus. Hummus is a popular Middle Eastern dip made of chickpeas, which are high in protein. My favorite flavors are roasted garlic, red pepper, or a mix of the two. This led to my other toppings: cucumbers and light feta cheese. You can also add tomatoes, lettuce, or even a tossed greek salad. I prefer to stay away from the extra carbs, but seasoned rice is an option as well.
Instead of making turkey patties, I ground up the turkey with sea salt and Greek seasoning (well worth $5 for the flavor it brings). Ground turkey, instead of formed patties, makes you consider portions a bit more (IMO), so I chose to do that instead.
Set out all your toppings, make your pita pockets, and create your pita bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment