Sunday, August 14, 2011

Jazzed Up Steaks



I was trying to come up with what I wanted to eat this week - and read Justin's mind about what he felt like eating. I don't know about you all, but trying to get Justin to cough up what he feels like eating is harder than getting him to close cabinet doors after himself. His reply is always "I don't know. Whatever sounds good." and then I end up having to come up with a couple options and if I'm lucky he'll be pretty decisive on just one!
So naturally, being out of food and since it's the weekend - it was time to do our little ritual of picking out this week's meals. It's been a little while so I decided to treat Justin to some red meat! I found this recipe for steak that has a summery touch and as Justin likes to refer to "fancy". This is a steak over bruschetta with a tossed spinach salad in vinaigrette and crostini.

Your first priority is to find your steak! They had a pretty good quality steak on special at a local market so I got about 1 lb of steak which makes enough for 3 slightly large servings. Remember that your steak is the star of your dish so if you can, throw in a bit of extra money for a really good quality steak! The original dish called for pesto but since I was unable to find a dairy-free pesto (and I decided I was gonna be too lazy to make one - too many other things competing for my attention this weekend!) so I just replaced it with bruschetta. And since Justin is in love with bruschetta, it was a win-win situation. :)   Also pick up your favorite green for a tossed salad, I picked spinach because it has a great source of iron but others work just as well like arugula.
Here is a total list of your ingredients:
Steak
Bruschetta
Greens (Spinach)
Your favorite bread (Ciabatta)

This meal is super fast and easy - but you need to have everything going all at once! First, slice your bread into about 1/2" slices and place them on a baking pan. Spread a small amount of olive oil on each bread and sprinkle a small amount of salt. These go into the oven at 350 degrees F for about 5-6 minutes to get the bread just crusty. After putting your bread in the oven, put your pan on the stove to heat. Once it is warmed up, place your seasoned steaks in the pan, I seasoned my steaks with a sprinkle of sea salt and minced rosemary. I don't really cook my steaks via time, so if this helps, flip your steaks once they are cooked almost halfway through the steak. Cook the steaks on the opposite side for about 1 minute less than the other side, turn off the heat, and leave the steaks to finish cooking. After flipping your steaks, take your greens and toss a mix of 2/3 olive oil and 1/3 balsamic or red wine vinegar with a sprinkle of sea salt. If you are nervous about the simple flavors of a vinaigrette, any flavored vinaigrette can be substituted.

Once you have all your components prepared, smear about 2 tablespoons of bruschetta/pesto on your plates, top with your rested steaks, and a nice bunch of greens with a crostini. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment